Saturday, February 1, 2014

Homemade Cereal

I have wanted to try making homemade granola for a while now.  Kahuna is big into walking these days, and I am big into making homemade treats that will give him good fuel.
Which is how I came to make this recipe, unearthed from the depths of my file cabinet (remember file cabinets?), where it has resided since 1982 when I first clipped it out of a local newspaper. 
Remember local newspapers? 
Originally published under the title "Helene's Homemade Cereal," I wasn't sure if this actually qualified as granola.  But I googled all things Wikipedia, where I was assured that it does. 
This cereal contains oatmeal and walnuts and apples and wheat germ and coconut and raisins.  Oh my.  So far we've been eating it with milk, just like regular cereal, but I'm thinking it could bake up into fine little bars.  Or get mixed in with yogurt; maybe with a few blueberries added.  You get the drift.
I'm storing it in a large plastic container in the fridge because it contains diced apples.  While the apples do dry out in the oven, they don't dehydrate completely. 
So here's the recipe.  And then I want to know:
Do you ever make homemade cereal?  Please share.

Oatmeal Coconut Apple Cereal

5 c. oats
1 c. coarsely chopped walnuts
2 c. flaked coconut
2 c. chopped apples (about 3 apples)
1/2 c. wheat germ
1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 c. butter
1 c. raisins

Get out as large a baking pan as you have; cover bottom with foil.  Spread oats in the pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.  In large bowl, stir together the nuts, coconut, apples, wheat germ, sugar, and cinnamon.  Add the nut/coconut mixture to the toasted oatmeal, drizzle the butter over all and mix gently. Put back in 350-degree oven and bake about 35 or 40 minutes, stirring gently whenever you think about it.  Remove from oven, let cool a bit, put into large bowl and add the raisins.  When cool, put in a closed container and refrigerate.  Wonderful served with milk and eaten with a spoon.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Farm Girl said...

I am a big fan of homemade granola.
I have always enjoyed it and this recipe sounds like a keeper.
Thank you so much for sharing.

February 2, 2014 at 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home